Kenya can be visited anytime of the year because it enjoys favourable climatic conditions thus it is possible to venture safaris and beach holidays anytime of the year. More often than not, the best time to visit Kenya largely depends on compelling reasons why you as a tourist wish to visit this destination. In most cases it normally boils down to questions such as;
- Your interests such as historical, cultural events, wildlife and birds etc
- Holiday safari activities – photography, walking and trekking;
- Your bucket-list of holiday destinations in Kenya you want to visit,
Undoubtedly, Kenya offers variety and diversity when it comes to tourist attractions and holiday activities. Kenya’s major tourist attraction is her stunning wildlife and scenic beauty which draws many a tourist from far and wide. As a case in point, the annual wildlife migration of wildebeest, zebras and antelopes takes place in the Masai Mara between the months of June and November, however it’s spectacular between August and October. This dramatic natural event attracts many tourists in Kenya, thus this season is regarded as the busiest in the Kenyan tourism calendars.
Kenya has two major seasons that is the wet and dry season respectively. As stated above, Kenya can be visited at any time of the year; however, guests are advised not to make plans to visit Kenya during the wet season between the months of March and June, because the rains can deter movement and holiday activities. If you plan to visit Kenya for hiking and trekking please avoid the rainy season, trekking conditions are in their worst conditions, and visibility is obscured by fog and thick clouds. Despite of these facts, the rainy season has it merits which include, less tourist traffic, holiday deals and special offers and prices cuts on holiday accommodations. The rainy season is considered as the low season in the Kenyan tourism calendar. The onset of the short rains is between October and November, many place can still be visited during the short rains. This is the best time for birdwatching safaris.
Local destination experts in Kenya, highly recommend the dry spells as the best time to visit Kenya for safari holidays. Very strong reasons have been brought forth to support this argument that the dry season between the months of January and March is the right time to plan your travel to Kenya and these reasons are as follows;
- During the dry spells, there is less vegetative cover, making it very easy to spot wildlife even from far.
- As the relentless sun dries the water sources, wild animals will congregate around the remaining water holes and frequent the banks of permanent rivers.
- In addition, all safari destinations in Kenya are accessible, by foot, by horses and camels, as well as safari vehicles
- Less mosquitoes and bugs in the bushes.
- The sea waters are clearer during this time for divers.
Depending on which part of the Kenya you are visiting, it’s advisable to park warm and heavy clothes and at the same time very light clothing. The many geographical variations in Kenya means there is also great variance in weather conditions too, it could be very hot in the day and freezing cold during the night.
In Kenya weather conditions are such that they range from hot and humid around the coastal regions, to dry and hot in the lowlands of Eastern and Northern Frontier districts, to cool temperatures of the plateau and mountainous regions.